WHEN: October 22nd 10AM-2PM and Monday October 24th 12PM-5PM
WHERE: Main South Farmer’s Market (Oct. 22) and Clark University (Oct. 24)
WHO: YOU- both events are open to the public
Mark your Calendars! October 22nd is Worcester’s celebration of Food Day. This event at the Main South Farmer’s Market will be a family-fun day filled with activities including chef demonstrations, food sampling, health screenings, information booths from local community partners, and live entertainment. Congressman James McGovern and Mayor Joseph O’Brien will be in attendance to support the event and address the attendees of the festival at 11 AM. And the fun doesn’t stop there! On Monday October 24th, Clark University will host their own events right on campus that are open to the public.
So What is Food Day?
Food day is a national grassroots mobilization seeking to promote food that is grown in a sustainable way, bought at a price that is fair for the workers of the food system, and healthy! Specifically, there are 6 areas of focus:
- Reducing obesity and diet-related disease by promoting safe, healthy foods
- Supporting sustainable family farms and cutting subsidies to huge agribusiness
- Ending urban and rural “food deserts” by providing access to healthy foods
- Protecting the environment and farm animals by reforming factory farms
- Promoting children’s health by curbing junk-food marketing aimed at kids
- Obtaining fair wages for all workers in the food system.
How can I get involved in Food Day?
Attend the event! In addition, community organizations can get involved in Food Day in a variety of ways. You can have a table or booth at the Saturday Farmers’ Market. You can also organize activities within your restaurant, organization, neighborhood, congregation, or school for Monday the 24th. Host a healthy lunch potluck with staff. Download a curriculum from www.foodday.org to use with your classroom. Invite neighbors over for a potluck dinner and watch an inspiring movie. Serve a “Food Day Special” on your menu. Whatever you decide to do, we invite you to let us know so we can include it in our Community Calendar of events.
What events will be at Food Day?
Saturday, October 22nd
Food Day Festival at the Main South Farmers’ Market
Located at the YMCA Central Branch at 766 Main Street. The market will be expanded for the day and will include:
Restaurants vendors with an array of Latin, Carribbean, Mexican, Asian foods as well as pastries, coffee, and more!
- Chef demos and easy recipes for free!
- Kids activities like bobbing for apples, harvest crafts, and a bouncy castle!
- Health partners with information on everything ranging from WIC to weight loss and dealing with Type 2 Diabetes
- Music by Hunter and Hip Sawyers
- Performances by a Cambodian Dance Troupe, a Capoeira group and more!
- Community and School Garden tours that will leave from the market highlighting the gardening being done in the Main South area
- Congressman James McGovern and Mayor O’Brien at 11 AM
Clark University will have a full-day event on their campus open to the public as well. It will include local food vendors, nutrition experts, community health organizations, and a delicious local, sustainable lunch prepared by Sodexo, the food service company at Clark. It goes from 12 pm – 5 pm and all are welcome!
For more information or to get involved:
Contact Liz Sheehan Castro at email@example.com or call (508) 757-5631 ext. 304